If you remember – My theme word for this year was ‘CONNECT’.
I chose connect because, honestly, I’ve never been too good at it. I mean, even the thought of putting myself out there to “actively network”, would scare the F out of me.
Truth is, I am (was lol) the type of person who absolutely hates asking people for things. I’m also a giver, by nature, and so it’s easier for me to give rather than receive. To add, I used to have a deep fear of failure and rejection – which I actually talk about here.
For those reasons, reaching out and asking people for things – even if it meant coming together to create something great – was very hard for me to do. I got used to doing everything on my own and by myself and so I took on this “I’m good, I got it” mentality.
It took some time for me to realize how crippling my perspective was (especially since it’s IMPOSSIBLE to go far alone). This year I ditched that whole thought process, along with the pride and fear of rejection that came with it.
As a result, and in just 2 months time, I’ve connected with more people than I have in all my years of doing business.
Here’s some of what I did:
- I spent the 1st few weeks of 2017 reaching out to and trying to connect with other Girl Bosses (locally and online).
- I jumped in the DM of some, asked for coffee dates with others, sent out many emails, and even had friends introduce me to people in their network.
- I intentionally ditched trying to be perfect in my approach and I just reached out.
Some of the messages I sent were rather formal, but most of them went kind of like “Hey Love! I love your brand/blog/mission and I’m looking to collaborate with more Girl Bosses in 2017. I would love to discuss this more with you”.
For those that responded (believe it or not, it was more than I expected) I shared some of the ideas that I had and I simply asked if they’d be interested in collabing.
I must say, some amazing things happen when we get out of our own damn way.
Here’s what came of my efforts:
- I’m co-hosting my FIRST twitter chat – the #HerFlyReality chat – with Carla Thomas of The Fly Girl Guide. During the chat we’re discussing “What’s Stopping You from your Happy?”, alongside panelists:
Def join us on February 27th, this upcoming Monday, at 8:30PM. It’s gonna be dope.
2. I have a writer Renee Desuza who joined the RYR team late last year. She and her work is AMAZING! Even though we are only 2 month into the year, idk what I’d do without her.
S.N. Renee actually happens to be a virtual assistant and freelance writer so def get at her if you need help with any writing, admin, social media or blogging tasks. You can find out more about her work here.
3. I have some dope women I’ll be featuring for the Her Story Rocks campaign – next up is Shelly Styles (pictured top right). I’ve known Shelly for quite some time now – we met through a mutual friend in 2008 or so. I am super excited to have reached out & connected with her to share her experiences as a Fashion Stylist, Designer, Online Boutique Owner, Talk show Co-Host of VIP Happy Hour, and Wardrobe Consultant. Stay tuned to hear more about her story – it’s a REALLY good one!
SN: Got someone else in mind that you think should be featured for the campaign? Send them my way. I love sharing the stories and successes of Girl Bosses who are on the move.
4. I now have 4 lovely and amazing brand ambassadors: Madison Brim (top left), Destiny Thomas (top right), Conchitta Scott (bottom left), Sequoyah Rodgers (bottom right). *Destiny actually join us as brand ambassador and social media manager (specifically managing twitter) – so get ready for our twitter to be popping! lol
I’m excited to have connected with a group of women who rock with the RYR mission and who are excited to spread awareness of the brand. Definitely be on the lookout for them as they grow with RYR and into their respective industries.
SN: Know someone else who’d make a great ambassador? Let me know 🙂
I’ll finish this by reminding you of what Renee said in her latest blog post, “nothing great happens inside of your comfort zone“. If you want your dreams to come true, your biz to grow, or even to build a life that you truly love, you gotta get out of your own way. I know I had to!
Okay, I know I shared a lot so your turn now :). Has there been something that you’ve been afraid to do that you know will take your biz or life to the next level?
Share it with us in the comments below, and let me know how I can support you!
Until next time!